The London kid: Recollections of an afternoon

It was the nineties, but I don't recall the exact year. However, I remember that I was just a young dude. Considerably younger than I am right now. A mere fresh faced youth with a cheeky glint in my eye.

My younger sister and I had been anticipating his visit to Liverpool, our 'brother' would be here to stay for some time. Well, as planned he arrived, armed with his familiar southern childish swagger and behaviour. Us siblings were now northerners, we didn't quite dine at the table of bravado. You know, those people from London, they drank a different filter of water.

Even back in those halcyon days we loved our music. And so it goes I distinctly remember Joshua producing a cassette tape (probably a TDK one) from his person and quickly bunging it into my stereo player. We waited for a moment for the music to fill the room - to which it did, oh boy. Then the kid cranked up the volume...

What happened next is basically one of those memories that has held a nice placement in the back of my mind ever since.

At that juncture in time I was not yet familiar with the brilliant De La Soul. But; I sure became quickly acquainted with the artistic left field hip-hop act. The song that announced them to us was - 'Ring Ring Ring'. And what a song it was to hear for the first time. The music was playing and the kid - Joshua, you know, well he started dancing, like he always loved to do. This dude had dancing tourettes, I am certain of it. The dramatic actions then followed suit, yep, of course, that was how he rolled - and because this kid was on point his moves matched and latched onto the lyrics of the track like a homeless person to a discarded sandwich. Yeah, our brother was super hyped.

My sister and I; well, we just looked at one another - probably wondering what he was doing - then as you do at that age we decided to join in. The beat and rhythm instructing our bodies to twitch - then our feet began to move and before you knew it there were three youths dancing around having an afternoon jam in my bedroom listening to De La Soul with faces lit up by smiles and liberally applied moisturiser.

Those beats were just too infectious, and so were the laughs that we would always have. We had been introduced to a new group called De La Soul and a track that I can safely say that we all still love to this day.

That kid Joshua with his cassette tapes full of beats and music that always excited our ears. How we loved those days, and his visits. The power of music and memories. We all have them. What an afternoon.


Demola, TCC

Comments

Popular Posts