Malt: A 21st Century Odessy


It's the morning after the night before, you've had the fried breakfast and the "hair of the dog". Although your general condition has improved, there is still an air of nausea and a certain lethargy about you. If you are to face the world without the 'I think I'm famous' dark shades, your system will require a boost of natural energy and vitality. This is an instance where the services of Malt are often called upon.

I have found myself in the Malt section of the nearest Afro/Caribbean store many a time, sometimes at crucial moments when that essential extra boost is needed. For instance, after a long taxing game of football on a hot summers day nothing can replenish you like a cold Supermalt or Guinness Malta, a Lucozade or Redbull just doesn't cut the mustard.


When I was a young dude, drinking malt was a delicious experience. A rare occurrence it was, but a lovely one at that. This drink is a popular staple beverage of many African's and Caribbean's. Myth had it that the drink made you run faster and gave you more strength than the next man (or little boy in my case). Whoever peddled these illicit rumours sure had a younger me and my friends believing it. Look at me, I am drinking malt! I am so grown up, and just you wait until I begin to run! (The innocence of youth in a nutshell).

When Supermalt was bought as a crate in my household it was distributed/rationed out with clinical precision. (Hey, it wasn't the cheapest). The drink was loved too much by my sister and myself, hence the 'equal' rationing. After consuming my allocated bottles - the dark side would then speak to me in ways that it shouldn't have. Should I drink another bottle... oh go on... they don't love it like you do. Now, was the wrath of my mother worth the moments of pleasure greedily downing this malty drink...erm, well, I would rather not talk about that.

I would describe the taste of a malty beverage as somewhat bitter sweet (leaning more towards the latter). It is like the Marmite of energy drinks as it is either loved or hated.


Completely agreeing with David on the either love it or hate it sentiment. Many (prats) have turned up their noses when I have spoken about the delights of malt drinking - saying it is not nice at all and basically disrespecting it. I just shake my head and feel pity on such individuals who appear to have little knowledge on how tasty it is, especially when consumed at the appropriate times.


If you have never tried the drink before, why not give it a go.








Submitted by David & Demola, The Collective







Comments

Popular Posts