The day has finally arrived

The long awaited day is finally here. June the 14th 2013. Yes, yes, YES! Patience was a virtue that I have had to cultivate. A long whole year I waited for this momentous day since the release date was confirmed. So, with the expectant anticipation that I have been feeling plus, the quite stupendous excitement that surged through my body every time a new trailer was released, tantalisingly drip fed to the world it has served to fortify my belief that the Man Of Steel will not fail to deliver. It just can't, it can't be a turkey, can it? I feel it in my soul, it won't be. (I hope...).

I remember going to see the 2006 attempted reboot - Superman Returns with my fellow Superman fanatic sibling and being similarly excited at that prospect. However, I still remember leaving the cinema that day somewhat deflated trying to keep a brave face on what I had just been subjected to. It had really failed to live up to my expectations.

Superman Returns wasn't a turkey by any means, but, it wasn't something that blew me away - in fact I was pretty much underwhelmed. Just like with this new incarnation of the franchise I was just as eager to see the film back then. Doing my research and consuming my mind with all things associated with the man with a penchant for sporting his underwear over his trousers. The exuberant little boy in me holds steadfastly to the things that lit up my youth and with Superman, this was one of the things that my sister and I thoroughly enjoyed as children.

Still to this day we make comical (to us) references to the Christopher Reeves era with so much fondness and geekiness even though watching those classic films today has opened up our eyes to to exactly how cheesy and camp those films actually were. Many of the characters were just brilliant. Gene Hackman's portrayal of criminal mastermind, Lex Luther went down in pop culture history.

A distinctly mock devious face that looked as though he wanted to crack a smile due to the frivolity of his less than benign behaviour. Richard Pryor in a Superman film?! It would be like having Chris Rock in the Man Of Steel acting the fool for comedic purposes - but back then it worked due to the less than serious nature of the films.

On further reflection, I suppose that was all part of the wonderful charm of a quartet of films that are still amongst our favourite things to watch. Oh how we have watched them repeatedly. "Mr Luthoor!"

Later today the cinema complex will be brimming with fans and general people there to see what the fuss is all about. In the midst of these people will be a brother and sister who will be sat smiling like little children (perhaps me more so) because it's more than just about watching 'Superman' it's about two siblings who's relationship has been underpinned by many common interests and this just so happens to be one of them.
 
 
Demola, TCC

Comments

Popular Posts