The BOY from Bergen

I was waxing lyrical about the Kings of Convenience when I first discovered them. Especially to the people of whom I thought would enjoy them as I did. She had to be told about them, she loves music like I do and we often tell one another about artists and bands. So, I told her; she listened and liked what she heard. On her summer jaunt of plane hopping to various countries she spoke of Kings of Convenience to her fellow hipsters and fashionistas. The cats she spoke with informed her that one of the two singers, Erland Oye, also had other albums that he had penned. The alias was: 'The Whitest Boy Alive'. Apparently, this other work was better than Kings of Convenience. Grand praise indeed. So, she told me all of what she had heard and I got to work obtaining both of the albums.

In a nutshell, I was not to be disappointed. Not in the slightest.  'Dreams' and 'Rules' were, and are two albums that unequivocally have permanent residence on my iPod. Kings of Convenience, are primarily a folk band. Perhaps with a slight indie tinge. The Whitest Boy Alive, however, are a different kettle of fish.
 
Electronic currents swim through these albums. Erland Oye brings his unmistakable easy vocal capabilities to this band over great guitar playing that marries well with succinct lyrics. The electronic guitar craftsmanship is quite prevalent with this band and complements everything nicely. Electro' beats and a moderate tempo of the songs are fused into a relaxed musical arrangement that I just love. In addition to this; the use of his word play in what I should make a note of mentioning - is not Erland Oye's first language, only serves to reiterate the talent that this chap has. Scandinavian people and their fantastic ability to speak perfect English, for me, - is simply astounding. Erland hails from Bergen, Norway.



 
Better than Kings of Convenience? I wouldn't say so. But that is just my opinion. Both sets of work are consummate and easily amongst my favourite musical discoveries of the last few years.
 
Top notch.
 
 
 
Demola, TCC
 


Comments

Popular Posts