"What you say about my mum?"


This is probably one of the biggest things I have and will ever witness whilst watching live sports.

Everything about the story of this moment is the stuff of legends.  One of the worlds most naturally gifted footballers of our generation, Zinedine Zidane, whilst playing in the 2006 world cup final, decides that Italian Marco Materazzi has crossed the line.

I remember at the time, apparently, Marco said something along the lines of "Your mum." (Okay, probably a much spicier version).  Well, Zidane switched up the place in front of the world and cleanly executed a head butting of the chest with such precise accuracy and power I was instantly in awe.  I was completely confused as prior to watching this, I had never known such a move to exist.

Needless to say, Zinedine Zidane was sent off and retired from international football (He was getting on a bit in footballer years anyway).

This legendary moment in sporting history has been immortalized by Algerian artist Adel Abdesesemed and is 16 foot high, made from solid bronze and currently sits in front of the Centre Pompidou in Paris.







Here's the exact footage I was watching live... with the exact same commentators back in 2006.


Hall of fame status.


Joshua, TCC


Comments

Popular Posts