I can feel it in the air



"Air Jordan 3"


This is my latest purchase, the Nike Air Jordan 3  Black/Cement. It's been a while but I had to step up my "Shoe Game" maybe that's one for the collective approved words.

They cost me on the wrong side of 100€ but hey, my accountant doesn't need to find out about this. Having always wanted this colour, finally I own what I think are the best ever Jordan's made.

Now, to understand the obsession - you have to understand the man behind the shoe. I don't mean Tinker  Hatfield who is the designer of most Nikes iconic shoes - but the man who's name the shoes derive from; Michael Jordan. 

Picture this... it's 1988 in the United Center home of the Chicago Bulls and a young Michael Jordan is playing to a packed house, wearing his signature shoes and with his signature tongue hanging out (still don't get that)

Nike were broke and losing money at the time and many people do say that Michael saved Nike and made them the company they are today. They had innovative designs and adverts especially those produced by famous film director Spike Lee who had an alter ego called Mars Blackmon in the adverts, Not only were the shoes becoming popular due to Michael's unrivaled ability on the court but a large amount of Spike Lee's film's featured characters who wore Air Jordan's.





One such film is called Do The Right Thing - were a character called Buggin Out has his Jordan's stepped on by another guy rushing past in a hurry leaving his Jordan's scuffed. In this classic moment Buggin Out gets angry and chases him down to confront him, after the exchange in a later scene he gets out a toothbrush and starts to clean his Jordan's. Many a Sneaker Head (more potential collective approved words) would be seen doing the same ritual like procedure. 

Nike Air Jordan's may possibly be the best shoe's ever made, I will let you decide for yourself, but they are my shoe of choice - when it comes to separating my feet from the ground. I have also posted a music video related to this post by Mac Miller called: Nike's on my feet. These shoes have become more than just footwear for playing sport in - it has become a part of pop culture and synonymous with that era.  




Submitted by Abdi, The Collective 




Comments

Popular Posts