Musings of a madman...

Have you ever wondered what motivates me, you, us and them?

A wardrobe full of clothes but the sentence "I have nothing to wear..." echoes from the bedrooms in a gritty Hackney housing estate all the way to the town house in Chelsea.

Slumped on a grey leather sofa, remote in hand, channel hopping the entire sky package and still I say to the uninterested person on the end of the phone... "There's nothing on."
(I pay for this pleasure I might add, somewhere in the range of fifty quid a month).

I own a collection of the freshest trainers you will ever come across, yet many never get to see the streets of London town because it's always raining.

Welcome to Instagram, the place where we all take pictures to show you what we just ate, what extravagant alcoholic beverage we are about to consume and generally anything we can brag about in picture format. When a complete stranger left me a comment, "If you 'like' ten of my photos, I'll like twenty of yours." I instantly lost the will to live. Now Facebook have bought it, I'm concerned if Facebook is slowly becoming a new world power? They have more constituents and control than any government I know.

So, it's official, we've gone into a double dip recession. So that means yet even more people conversing on their four hundred quid i phone 4s, moaning about the fact they don't have any money.

Swag went from being a bag full of stuff that cheeky looking thief had slung over his back slithering through the pages of a comic, to something we thought was rubbish as kids in college to the most overused word in pop culture.

The other day when I was listening to Kanye West's "Theraflu" which soon was retitled "Way too cold". I just thought to myself, I wonder how many people will even know that his chorus is an old Ma$e lyric from his track 'lookin at me.' I'm a serious fan of Kanye, but I just turned his track off and went and played the whole of Ma$e' first album instead.

Remember when cartoons were talking animals or flying robots that turned into cars? Now the cartoons are humans that have affairs and swear. I love me some Family Guy, though, especially the most politically incorrect characters.

As the world becomes ever more fashionable, will the original fashionista's who prided themselves on not conforming to the mainstream spiral into an identity crisis and implode into thin air?
Maybe Lady Gaga had something when she wore meat, I'm pretty sure soon fabric will be "So last year."

The other day a boy came into my workplace with a bright red sweatshirt with the words "LOL @ UR SWAG" emblazoned across it in white. Instantly I was faced with a mental battle within myself in deciding who was more sad, the 'designer' who made this pathetic piece of clothing or the boy standing before me that bought it. Needless to say it was a draw.

If you are looking for wisdom or insight go and have a conversation with a kid, they'll soon make you see life differently. Why? I hear you ask? Well the other day I was walking to work and as I weaved in and out of dozens of kids running past my ankles I noticed that this particular morning a lot of parents and kids were holding home made rockets made from washing up bottles and boxes etc... as I approached the corner two siblings who had ran ahead of their mum were standing and looking around at all the other parents and kids in amazement... their eyes completely lit up...

One shouted to the other and asked desperately: "Look! why has everyone got rockets?!!"

Without the slightest bit of hesitation his sister immediately shouted back with such enthusiasm:
"IT MUST BE ROCKET DAY!!!!!!"

That's probably the most funniest and insightful conversations I've heard this year. Yup, I was schooled by school kids on the way to school while I was stressing about something pointless on the way to work.



Don't be one of those people that knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing.


Until next time people.


Joshua, TCC  First posted on 05/10/2012

Comments

Popular Posts