"I'm not just part of this blog, I am a fan of it." - Joshua

(Pictured: Robert Glasper)


As much as I am part of the TCC, I am a fan of it. This blog experience is meant to give you a genuinely good feeling and hopefully inspire you in different ways, as well as have a laugh along the way. Now as much as I love my music, sometimes the good stuff is increasingly difficult to find these days. I mean you gotta be committed to the cause to search through all the stuff out there. Shamefully, I had never heard of this fella, Robert Glasper. This is very strange for me considering he is such a master of his craft. Not to mention the artists he knocks around with, I should have paid more attention really.

Back in the days when I used to buy CDs, I would devour the notes, the credits and the thank you's. This would lead me to other great musicians. I guess I don't do that much anymore, due to the digital age. So, anyway, I've noticed a few of the guys posting stuff about this Glasper guy... and I was just too busy or lazy to investigate. But with the beautiful weather this weekend and my relaxing schedule synchronised with it... I had a feeling this music might be the perfect accompaniment to complete the set. Boy, was I right.

Me and Demola had traded messages on Saturday morning, and he mentioned in passing that he was sitting on a coach listening to Robert Glasper's Black Radio 2. He urged me again to check it out... This is what I started with first. Within seconds I had the whole album playing... It was like food for my soul and mind. I was in a reflective state of mind yesterday and this just hit the spot. It was meant to be. It was refreshing. It was true, sincere and natural.

The vibe kinda reminded me of stuff Dj Jazzy Jeff has done... but this was much more jazzier, and unpolished. More free and improvised. After devouring Robert's Black Radio 2 album, I went and played his Black Radio 1 album. I was onto something here. On I devoured that, I started to feel like Veruca Salt. (What a name). You know, that spoilt, demanding little brat in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I just wanted more Robert Glasper music and I wanted it now!

So thanks to the digital age, yes the same platform that has probably been one of the main hindrances to good genuine musicians, is what will help me get hold of whatever else the Robert Glasper has released. I downloaded his 2004 Canvas album, 2007 In my element album, and 2009 Double booked album.I ended getting hold of a track from something titled Mood and also the Glasper Beat tape. I'm a greedy boy, I know.

The glass sliding doors to my balcony were wide open. The sun was shining. My missus was knitting on the sofa and I was sprawled out on the floor surrounded by my designs, scribbling away. The soft breeze flowing and the stimulating vibes of the genius that is Mr Robert Glasper filling the air.

Special thank you's to the other members of The Chesterfield Collective, my brothers and comrades in this struggle for creativity... for continuing to educate, inspire and ultimately motivating me to be better creatively. This isn't just a blog. This is a lifestyle. Keep up the good work, David, Abdi and Demola.


Joshua, TCC

Comments

Popular Posts