My morning journey


So the day begins, four floors up overlooking the city far off into the distance. I can specifically pinpoint my eventual destination from where I stand. The clouds drift hypnotizingly over head. The trees sway. I sip on a glass of fresh orange juice, while admiring natures beauty and rhythm. 

From my vantage point, the variations of day light in the morning sky are dramatic and constantly changing. What was virtually pitch black when I awoke, is now a bright blue. A transformation that took place during the time it took me to wake up and get ready.

Following my morning ablutions, I grab my keys and set out. I slip past the stainless steel Otis lift, and opt for the stairs. 

I briskly walk through the surrounding grounds private gated grounds, and take the first left which leads out to a nearby residential road. 

The very first house has a huge white horse casually standing in the front garden. 

"Aren't you supposed to be in a stable or something Mr Horse?" I asked. 

"You dont look like you're from around here, aren't you supposed to be living in the ghetto or something Mr Man?" Mr horse replied. 

Stunned by this horses wit, I conceeded defeat, bowed my head and continued on my way. 

Another horse is grazing on the grass across the road. (It seems like horses run the show around here). This second horse looked a bit more friendly, but I couldn't stop for chat or else I'd be late.

A pair of white all star converse hang by their laces on a telephone wire up above, which seems out of place for this location out in the suburbs.

The local station is small and intimate. I board the overground train and hop off three short stops later at Woolwich Arsenal. Here I jump onto the Docklands Light Railway, which I affectionately refer to as "the toy train", due to its dinky little cutesy appearance. (The trains do not have a driver, but instead are all automatically operated with only an attendant/inspector on board who checks tickets now and again).

My specific route takes me up off the ground a few stories high, weaving through London.

First I scoot past the main Tate & Lyle factory on the left. A huge banner with the words "Save Our Sugar" hangs down the side of the huge factory. A massive replica of the famous green and gold tin of syrup also wraps around one of the buildings corners.

Next I go past London City Airport, rising high enough to see down onto the runway. The runaway runs parallel with the River Thames which the train at this point crosses over, bridging the divide between south and east. Everynow and then I get to see a plane landing in quite close proximity.

The train then swings past Pontoon Dock, home to a secluded park that has bushes cut out in the shapes of waves to pay homage to the river itself and the silver arched structures in the River Thames, otherwise known as the Thames Barrier. These silver structures are also visable, located directly behind this park, and look great during a sunset.

On the left, is a huge brown disused warehouse/factory. It's a breath taking structure, serving as a reminder of Britains industrial revolution back in the day. It's adorned with a huge piece of graffitti down one side of it. It also dons the famed 'Obey' graffiti piece on a seemingly unreachable part of the structure.

Behind the old disused factory, the London Excel Centre is nestled across the river.

The toy train continues directly underneath the relatively new Emirates Airline Cable Cars which venture over the river Thames, again providing a link between south and east London. The O2 Arena looks quite spectacular in the sunshine from here, and even though it's now across the river from me, looks within touching distance. I look up and watch the cable cars slide along at quite a considerable pace. Must be fun, I think to myself. I've yet to try them out.

On this side, I continue on past the new Crystal Exhibition Centre, which is an interesting piece of glass architecture that sits at the foot of the east end of the cable cars.

Now one of the tallest buildings in Europe Canary Wharf commands attention, situated in the business district. This now serves as the back drop as the toy train now slides closer to my destination.

Abbey Road is one of the last stations I go past, often confused by tourists for the Abbey Road on the over side of the city where the Beatles took that famous photo walking on the zebra crossing. I've even heard tales of poor tourists taking photos on a random zebra crossing near the station recreating the famous photo. 

Anyway, my train finally pulls up into Stratford. Home to the 2012 Olympics. The ArcellorMittal orbit towers up high and dominates the surroundings. The red structure designed by Anish Kapoor resembles nothing more than a heap of red scaffolding to some, but it actually has a viewing platform at the top which gives unparalleled 360 degree views of London. This is what I was looking at as I sipped on my glass of orange juice earlier this morning, in my living room.

I hop off the train, tap my Oyster card on the reader and scurry up Stratford High Street.

I stop off and get a black coffee, and then enter work with 10 minutes to spare.

The best part of my day is the journey, not the destination. 

Now it's time to work.



Joshua, TCC 




















Comments

Popular Posts