The book of night women


The story is set on a Jamaican sugar plantation in the late 1700's, it is written in the native 'patois' I suppose for effect which I would definitely say adds some extra authenticity to the novel.

I admit that I wasn't instantly grabbed by the fluidity of the tale but once I was, I was hooked, more so than anything I've read before.

The story spans over a number of years and besides the gruesome daily exploits of slave life is a harsh coming of age tale of a young slave girl named Lilith.

Reading how she grows from an innocent girl to a woman who's life experiences shape her into someone who is able to go from being loving and virtuous to cruel and conniving in an instant certainly paints a picture of just how things may have been in those times.

The author pulls no punches when it comes to how things happened back then; the language and detailed descriptions hits home and resonates in a chilling manor.

This book is an action packed thriller, filled with drama, violence, sex and everything else that constitutes a sinister slave/slave master relationship.

All in all the book of night women is an incredible read, I can only imagine that anyone who has read the book would also agree and recommend it, (which is how I got hold of it in the first place incidentally).




David,TCC

Comments

Popular Posts