The radio show

"You're on in three minutes..."

Wow, live on air in three little minutes. After the song had finished. I can't lie, I felt a bit nervous. We were due to be on live radio. BBC Radio Merseyside to be exact. In the UK when the BBC label proceeds a radio title it adds that bit of prestige. Well as far as I'm concerned it does. 

So, there was David and I doing our bit to promote this blog. The Chesterfield Collective would be talked about on a regional radio show that was airing out to all of its millions (we wish) of listeners plus, for this night, a few of my family and friends.

That's right, I made sure to tell a select few to tune in. I was going to be on the radio! Me, on the radio! Crikey! Folk would need to hear it. David and I on the airwaves chatting all things TCC.

We had been asked to come on to the show by its presenter after meeting her through mutual friends at an event. After a while of tough negotiating and perhaps not discussing our image rights we were finally sat in the studio with the lively host who was her usual gregarious and animated self, something that I had noted from the few encounters we had had with her prior to this virgin forage into radio territory.

The week before was actually supposed to have been the actual day that we should have been on air. But due to an foreseen mix up, (typical) David and I arrived at the radio studios to be told that the presenter was out of town and that that nights show was a pre recorded one. Great, we felt like a couple of squashed lemons as we spoke to the producer and looked around the impressive surroundings chatting about bits and bobs. I wasn't a happy sausage - I'd instructed my family to tune in and they had done so for nothing. My '15 minutes' had been dashed before they had even begun.

Anyway, a swift week passed by and we were back. Take two, back to drop our dulcet, urbane tones on air. And hopefully garner some new people to check out what we have been doing at The Collective.

After ten minutes or so it was all over. Over and done. Well that was interesting. Wasn't so bad, I actually enjoyed it. The presenter made us feel very welcome and we had a good laugh. At her expense, maybe, but it was all in good humour and she lapped up the cordial banter and also David's poem, 'The girl that has style' (see original writing section ). 

I had tasted less than 15 minutes of 'fame' and had loved it. I gotten a tad intoxicated on it.' I actually wanted the interview to have gone on for longer, heck! I wanted to shove the presenter from her chair (to the carpeted floor) and stage a radical radio show coup. Now, that would have been something. 

But, of course, that was never going to happen - I wasn't raised to push women from their chairs to the ground and then blabber on a microphone about whatever I fancied. Nope, that just wouldn't have been cool. I'll tell you what was cool, though, David and I being given the opportunity to do something that we had never done before. Now that was cool.

Even if I say so myself. 


Demola, TCC 




Comments

Popular Posts