The quintessential summer shoe

I once asked a close friend a superficial yet pertinent question. Which fashion do you prefer, winter or summer?

My fashionable savvy friend didn't take long to respond and plumped for winter attire. I couldn't agree with this answer but I could see why he would prefer winter clothing. The assortment of choices and layering of garments plus, the warm fabrics that an individual has at their disposal during the colder darker months can be quite apealing.

I, on the other hand just love the sun and heat. Basically, I adore the summer, who doesn't? And with that summer fashion and everything that it encompasses.

Be it vibrant and cheerful T.shirts, summery prints to cotton shirts -  to the abandoning of coats and donning that nifty little jacket alongside the shorts and vests with sunglasses that add to the 'cool' (The majority, especially the latter are usually worn when away experiencing a real summer abroad).

There is one thing that I enjoy especially about summer fashion. And that item is the trusty loafer. The dandy  quintessential summer shoe that requests a fashion conscious chap to discard his heavier shoes and slightly whiffy socks and then place a set of fine loafers apon his feet.

Some discenting individuals may deem this look as a fashion faux pas. For those people who frown upon this look trust me, they really don't have a clue.


The key to this rather gaudy adornment is not just in the chosen shoe but it is also all in the timing (as in seasonally). It goes without saying that the temperamental weather that we experience on our shores leaves little or no opportunity to exhibit ones fine collection of loafers in full pomp. This is when your fashionable timing  becomes  absolutely imperative. The warm rays of the sun accompany a pair of slip on loafers like a feather does a top hat. I have found myself becoming a tad frustrated by seeing someones bare ankles aloft a pair of snazzy loafers on a moderately mild or even slightly blustery day. To me, this is the equivalent of taking the convertible out in weather that hardly demands it, just because you have a convertible.
I would for that matter like to say that for anyone who cannot resist the urge to splurge on their snappy slip ons on a mild autumn day for instance - there's nothing wrong with bringing back the retro 'MJ' look of thick white socks and a sharp pair of shiny loafers, no harm in that.

For all my self-righteous exhortation I did find myself in a rather faux pas situation not too long ago. Still feeling the summer vibe from a weekend blessed by a beautifully warm climate I felt almost compelled to step into my brown leather loafers (sock free) and make my way into work.

The weather 'outside' was perfect loafer conditions but to my dismay the air conditioning in my department was malfunctioning and had set itself to something close to 0 degrees (Great!). Resulting in a day of very cold ankles and a runny nose for me. Some of the girls around the office who had come to work in their flat shoes and sandals sympathetically empathized with my predicament.

All one can do is hope the sunshine and warmth prevails so that I can wear my loafers to my hearts content. With care free abandonment and, of course (most importantly) sock free.

Loafers are the staple summer shoe of choice for any wannabe fashion aficionado.

My dear friend may have preferred winter fashion to summer attire, however, for me, as long as the loafer is synonymous  with the summer season I will always choose summer garb over winter clothing every time.


Demola & David, TCC 

Comments

Popular Posts