Funky Chicken Barcelona


Tapas, paella, Spanish ham, omelette's etc, etc... All more than decent food options whilst visiting Iberian shores. However, after a while one may want a cuisine of a different sort of variety after constantly partaking of this sort of grub. I was no different and I fancied a little 'soul food' to line my grumbling stomach. I recalled Abdi once mentioning a Caribbean eatery when we once discussed food. On remembering this I intimated that I would like to check it out, Abdi agreed that he was also on the same peckish page - so a prompt phone call was made in pretty impressive Spanish and our order was taken as we made our way from the centre of the city to get our comida.

Sauntering through the absorbing streets and squares we finally arrived at the  inconspicuous location. I was a little surprised as I had expected a shop of some sort not an apartment that sold Caribbean food as Abdi casually informed me. Buzzing the bell we were let into a dimly lit hall way, we made our way up a few flights of narrow steps to the third floor. 

After knocking on the old looking door and we were quickly greeted by a pleasant looking woman with a baby strapped to her bosom. On walking into the apartment my eyes lit up as I saw a small group of people sat in a cosy looking living room that seemingly doubled up as an impromptu dinning area for guests. The apartment oozed warmth and exuded a lovely homely vibe. Books, plants, quaint décor instantly agreed with me. This was topped off by a big beaming smile from the resident chef who stepped out from his kitchen and greeted us as though we were personal friends of his. 

Standing in this humble abode reminded me to the BBC cookery show that showcased the delectable Rachel Koo's - 'The Little Paris Kitchen' in which she would cook from her small apartment in the Parisian suburbs and just like this family - catered for people in a quite unique fashion. Apparently, this subculture is steadily growing within major cities such is its charming appeal.

Our order was nearly ready. The food the chef was preparing smelt delightful. I told him that much as we chatted to the Guyanese native who had moved to Europe eight years ago and was living with his lovely wife and their adorable baby who peered inquisitively from her strapping as we spoke to her mother who would intermittently leave us to take food to the customers eating in the living room. With a baby in tow she consummately delivered food to the small party of diners.

Our soul food was finally ready and after a little chat with the more than affable chef Abdi and I said our goodbyes to him, his wife and baby. Stepping out and taking in the balmy night air a comfortable bench on Rambla de ravel was located for us to sit and eat the extremely edible Caribbean food that had been artfully prepared by a chef who just happened to do it straight from his pleasant home.


Demola, TCC 





Comments

Popular Posts