The special day - part 5

I first came across the 'wedding singer' at the engagement party. He had sung his repertoire of covers and entertained a receptive crowd. So, as a result of this he was afforded the wedding gig as well. Everybody in the reception venue was putting the last minute finishing touches together before the newly weds arrived. All I had to do was set up the laptop and hard drive which would prove to be a slight bother and make sure the slow music was already playing as the guests in-fluxed.

Time was beginning to conduct its silly tricks again and was tip-toeing a bit faster, their grand arrival was creeping ever closer. I didn't know it at that moment but the wedding singer should have been at the venue much earlier than he was to do his sound check and sort out his various bits and bobs. His 'assistant' had informed me of the tardiness. The singer had arrived late, his reason, I have no idea. He was doing that silly sound check that musicians do, 1-2-3 check. Screech, screech! Playing loud backing music and the microphone was making that awful feedback noise that they always seem to do. Alongside this, he had his little helper working the electronic gizmo's. They were making a bit of a racket, if I am to be completely honest.

I was beginning to get a bit impatient, informing him politely that I had to start playing the music, it wouldn't look good if my sister and groom came in and  he is still doing a sound check. The groom had especially requested that the nice music be playing as the guests walked into the room. Well, the wedding singer was a bit of a diva, wasn't he. "I just want to do a good job - the best that I can do."

His persuasive and docile eye balls looking at me as though I wanted to rain on his parade.  Basically, the chap was attempting to make me feel a bit guilty. I really didn't appreciate these calculated tactics but I remained cool. Having said that - my face said another thing. My eyes rolled in my head and eventually after he continued to munch into my precious time the events manager lady saw my body language and asked if I was happy with what he was he doing. I instantly said no, explaining that I needed to play the music from the onset.
 
The lady didn't even hesitate in shooing the wedding singer man off the stage like a pesky pigeon. I was glad for her prompt intervention as I set about playing the slow mix I had worked to compile with the great help of David.

The music, in my opinion, filtered nicely throughout the room. It more than suited the occasion and atmosphere beautifully. I was proud of my musical nous. The room had begun to fill up steadily as the time had finally arrived for the happy couple to make their awaited bow. And with that they did. Looking like loves young dream they sauntered into the magnificent looking arena. My sisters expression was a picture that even Picasso would have failed to replicate if he were still alive. Everybody had seating tags and were now sat looking forward to the food. Which was tasty and of course, the music, dancing and speeches that were to come.

The wedding singer buzzed in my ear again - asking if his helper could stay and partake of some of the food. I didn't know what to say, I wasn't aware of the entire arrangements - but I doubt he was on the food head list that the groom and my sister had put together. I shrugged my shoulders and told him to take a hike to MacDonald's down the road. Not really, although I should have said that.

Then the wedding singers helper came and asked me if I wanted to play the wedding singers 'CD' that he so happened to have on him as 'back ground music'. Outrageous! Could he not already hear the fine dulcet music playing?! I said no, and instantly scanned the room for the lady again to do some shooing  away - this time preferably with a hefty broom.

There were perhaps two stand out things from the reception to my mind that were extremely special. The speech that the groom gave and my fathers speech. Which in their own differing ways were so poignant and beautiful. They both spoke directly from their hearts as the audience sat in quiet subjection to the moving and touching words that floated from their mouths.

My dads speech was so eloquent, so honest, so affecting - that it reduced many to tears as he spoke to my sister, my mother and the groom. It was easily one of those moments that will linger long in my memory and I am sure the memories of others. The applause after it was befitting of a truly amazing speech. I was proud of the way he spoke.

If there is something I learnt from the wedding - is that you can not always please everybody. The wedding singer finally got to have his intended hour and a bit in the lime light. He knew how long his allocated time slot was. Needless to say, why was I not surprised the man wanted longer. The man kept singing and singing trying to stretch out his time. My sister was looking at me like, sort it! And I was ready to roll up my sleeves.  He wanted the whole night, didn't he. Well that was never going to happen.  The man had failed to grasp the fact that this was not his concert. He was soon told to shift it by myself - cue a sorrowful looking bloke who actually mumbled into his chest, "I just wanted to sing a little longer..." as he begrudgingly shuffled off the stage. Joshua, James and I later had a great laugh at his expense as we watched him talking to guests and did mock voice overs of him apparently boasting that he was a celebrity and Joshua and James gave him the strangely apt nickname of Trey Bongs.

The music at the reception proved to be a bone of contention with the let's say 'mature women'. These sassy ladies sure knew how to cut up a rug as they danced and wiggled their rumps animatedly to Afro beats and samba music. Nothing wrong with that. However, this couldn't be the play list all night. I had been told what music to play by my sister, but try telling an imposing African woman that. Yes, exactly. (Gulp!) The music and dancing was fun as those who danced had a great time and larked about as is often the case at weddings.

As the night was drawing to a crescendo most of the guests had begun to vacate and there were not many of us left in the reception. The three amigos were sat at a table like relaxed gents talking and laughing at an older woman who was dozing off at her table. Actually, we filmed her because she was nodding her head to the music that was still playing with her eyes closed. Boys will be boys.

According to my mother, an opportunist man present at the reception had smuggled as many bottles of left over beer away that his two arms could muster. This heist was worse due to the fact that my mum had said something about leaving them for the really nice staff  who had provided an accomplished service. The man in question didn't care about this nice gesture - his bulging eyes had designs for free booze and he was in no mood for giving away freebies. The staff of about six had to be content with sharing perhaps two bottles.

So, eventually, we left the the party, everybody had dispersed by now. We were all tired from the long and enjoyable day that we had had. A new chapter was about to start for my sister and her husband - starting with a nice honeymoon that she would later make me quite jealous about with her constant barrage of text and picture messages whilst there. But I really didn't mind so much, she deserved to be happy and I was happy for her.


The television had been switched off it had served its purpose. The time was more than a couple past the midnight hour as I left my two close friends to sleep in the front room. Finally, I was in bed. I lay there for some moments reflecting on the events of the wedding. September the 1st had been eventful to say the least. It was a joy. I had cried, I had laughed, I had watched my younger sister get married and blossom into a beautiful swan. It really had been a roller coaster of emotions. This colourful day would forever be in-printed in my mind. Long would it live in the memory. If I could sum it up in three words, then those words would be: 'The special day'... The special day...

And with that I fell asleep.







Demola, TCC








Comments

Popular Posts