The special day - part 1

The television had been switched on. Its purpose was to provide a bit of background noise. Ties had been undone, shoes removed, as three weary friends slumped about on chesterfield chairs in the living room. The time was more than a couple past the midnight hour. Although tired, it was perhaps more a nice sense of tiredness. The day, to say the least, had been quite eventful.

The morning had been quiet and peaceful. I had woken up early on the Saturday, earlier than usual on a weekend day. A restless nights sleep had not been appreciated. The great sense of anticipation had consumed my metronome thoughts. Saturday, September 1st, was the day in which my darling sister was to be married. This significant day in time had finally arrived. The months of planning, discussions, organising and implementation had culminated in a tranquil early Saturday morning. Joshua and James had set foot in Liverpool the dark night before. Now, they were asleep as I softly stepped into the living room to watch TV whilst eating my breakfast.

Their day would begin some hours later than mine. The three of us would meet when we had done what we had needed to do before the wedding. My younger sister was due to be married on this day. My younger sister. The feeling was quite hard to comprehend. Haircut and a quick gym visit completed. Joshua, James and I reconvened in a city centre bar and eatery. The sun was now out. Thankfully it had decided to be kind. It warmly smiled down on the city of heritage.

Back to my home and the showers had been had, the iron still hot from its recent use and the television flashed pictures and made noise contributing to the overall vibe as we spoke and kept an eye on the football news. "I can't do ties, can you help me, D'?..." James was getting into a kerfuffle attempting to put the finishing touches to his wedding day guest attire. It took a few moments to get him up to scratch. Joshua, by now, was looking at his new black loafers as he was almost ready.

The lovely September sun was in full swing now as we stylishly stepped out into the sunny street looking distinctly dapper, feeling good and subsequently raising the eyebrows of my neighbour who was casually having a smoke.  "Off to a wedding." I informed him. I wouldn't have blamed him for assuming we were on our way to the GQ head quarters to receive awards.

What transpired next basically sums up the insane, over optimistic nature that I have with time, plus the shoddy lack of pre-planning we hadn't really done before embarking on our journey to the wedding...


Demola, TCC

Comments

Popular Posts