I do 'luv' live


A couple of days ago, a friend of mine invited me to come along to a travelling music showcase entitled “I luv live” that he was promoting and he even informed me of the open-mic segment that he would like me to take part in. Being a budding artist myself I gladly accepted the invitation and at about 7:30 last night I made my way there. The kafuffle of readying my young children to be taken to their Nana’s for babysitting coupled with the long, cold and wet wait for the bus discouraged me somewhat to the point of almost returning home and putting my feet up in the warm but no, I was steadfast in my quest and about ten to fifteen minutes later the bus arrived slightly behind schedule.

I entered the venue and was slightly taken back by the vast crowd that had gathered in anticipation of the imminent event.  My music promoter/ artist manager/industry insider friend greeted me with a welcoming handshake. The night got underway with a mellow yet lyrically charged set from the up and coming rapper/producer/film maker, Merki, who’s social commentary flowed effortlessly over his own equally gifted keyboard playing and resonated with an applauding audience.

As Merki’s set was coming to a close my friend stopped me in my tracks as I was heading to the bathroom to tell me that I would be going first on the open-mic. “Oh OK, when is it?” I asked.” After this song,” he replied. “Cool,” I responded in a happy go lucky manner all the time knowing that I wasn’t prepared for such an occasion unless you can count grabbing a pile of printed poems and shoving them in your bag five minutes before leaving the house as preparation. I quickly scurried to the bathroom where I shuffled through a hand full of paper to find a poem that I felt would most suit the atmosphere of the night. “Mr Nobody” it is then, before I knew it I was being introduced and ushered onto the stage. As the house bands Keyboard player began to play I held the poem aloft and almost blinded by the stage lights I began to read. Luckily for me, “Mr Nobody was well received and a plenitude of handshakes and pats on the back greeted me as I left the stage. The open-mic was also blessed by the sultry voice of a Miss Sophie Blood and the rhythmic lyrical prowess of a very gifted female emcee entitled Stylee.

The open-mic segment was followed by an incredible performance by another local up and coming band name Mic Lowry, a group of talented young singers who operate under the esteemed guidance of MOBO award winning Artist, Esco Williams. The set was well received by the audience (in particular the female representatives). Their harmonious brand of soulful music for me harks back to some of the great RnB groups of the 1990’s.

Following Mic Lowry there was an astonishing performance from a young songstress named Taylor Fowlis, whose talent and soulful voice left an astounded audience in sheer admiration.
The night came to a close with the headline act; a certain Mr Ady Suleiman whose performance I could describe in one word, superb. A humble character on stage for one so gifted, he sang beautifully, his vocal chords caressing each note to perfection before delivering to a more than satisfied crowd like a little old lady who bakes lovely home-made cakes and brings them to market hoping that any consumers will savour every last bite, and how they did...

I left the venue buzzing with a new enthusiasm for the up and coming music that will surely soon be on offer on a wider scale.  I congratulated my friend on a job well done; he in turn offered his admiration to my poetry reading that I like to think played a short but pertinent role in such an amazing night.





David, TCC

Comments

Popular Posts