A Musical Voyage - Ray LaMontagne

I had been completely and utterly seduced by the music that I had garnered in Southern America. Brasil had been a most fruitful foray and prior to that the Northern Americas.My trusty boat blissfully meandered around the often serene coasts unsure of where to next. Something told me to stay a while longer in this part of the world. Just one more musical capture, another fine discovery could be a possibility.

I left South America and headed back in the direction of where I had first heard about Fleet Foxes. The intention was to once again frequent that part of an expansive continent. The ports I had stopped off at seemed to be havens of musical knowledge and recommendations. I believed this could once again provide me with another musical gem.

A chilly, blustery day ushered me into a port in which I had visited previously. It appeared familiar - yet none of the individuals I had met some time ago were present. Of course, I did not expect a welcoming party. Although, I must admit, I had wished to be greeted by a kind face.

I spent a few days acclimatizing myself into the surroundings - hoping  to meet somebody, anybody, in the local bars who wanted to discuss music. This did not transpire to be the case. I began to wonder if I had made a gross error of judgement. Was I greedily prolonging this stay in the Americas.

On further reflection, I am glad that I bowed to my initial gut feeling. For what I later unearthed, to this very day, ranks amongst one of the most astoundingly accomplished and enchantingly toned singers I have ever come across. I have no qualms in expressing an unreserved eulogy towards this musician.


One fine day in the region of New Hampshire I happened to stumble across a splendid musical jamboree. A mix of males and females singing and playing instruments. They were singing in the musical genre of Folk. I stopped nearby and absorbed their brilliance. A young man was also marvelling, as I was. He saw that I was enjoying the spectacle and told me that these people were covering a singer called Ray LaMontagne. I enquired as to who this fellow was. He laughed a little and told me that Ray was the favourite son of this landscape. And that his music was transcending and I really did need to hear his actual music. I recall that I nodded my head in agreement as he began to proclaim how spell bindingly wonderful the artist was. I could not but help note that he kept referring to him as the 'artist' and the 'teacher'.

As clear as the green grass was underneath my feet and the sun shining down from the heavens  I had been unequivocally convinced that I needed to obtain the man's music.I was not to be disappointed. Perhaps, my only disappoint was that I do wish I had found out about this magnificent singer sooner.

Husky vocals tempered with a distinct hoarse undercurrent - the music that I had the pleasure of hearing stroked my receptive ears. For me, it calms and soothes the soul. Every note that I first experienced on obtaining his albums lingers tenderly and flourishes with beauty. This married with his excellent dexterity with the guitar make Ray LaMontagne's music a truly exquisite experience to behold.The albums that I gleefully took back aboard my boat were: 'Trouble', 'Till the sun turns black', 'Gossip in the Grain' and God willing and the creek don't rise'.

My musical life is all the richer for this artist. I set sail more than fulfilled with my latest possessions. My journeys so far have yielded more than I could have ever envisaged. The next part of my expedition would take me to a entirely new continent that I believed would be as beautifully accommodating as the one I was leaving.



Ray LaMontagne - Empty


Ray LaMontagne - Be Here Now



Demola, TCC

Comments

Popular Posts