Subjective Art







Art, art, art... The cultured folk take it oh so seriously. I have no problem with that, each to their own. I liked this African picture and thought to myself: hmm, if I was in a gallery stood facing this picture - what would it say to me? What feelings would it stir deep within my soul, how would it evoke me? How would I muse over it? (Standing there with an inquisitive look on my face (right eyebrow slightly raised) - whilst stroking my chin with my thumb and index finger).

And my conclusion on this notion is: The African women who appear to be dressed in east African garb seem to be consumed in the height of angst and tension. The lady on the left seems overwhelmed with exasperation - as she raises her arms in protestation. Perhaps due to the fact that one of her girlfriends has stolen grain from her container or has said something about her child who maybe is due to be married of to a goat herder for a nominal  fee. The sweltering heat has only added to this situation - as the animated women bicker and quarrel.

Another thought could be that - the women are all the wives of the village idiot and are arguing about who will wash his feet on his return from idly wandering the mountains.

Who knows really about the true meaning of this picture bar the painter, art can often be very subjective. Here here!


Submitted by Demola, The Collective


Comments

Popular Posts