Memories of Lisbon

When on a jaunt abroad or in and around my own city, I have to say: I do love stumbling upon quaint little coffee shops/cafe's/or anything that happens to spike the senses. A nice recollection of one such occasion was on a trip to the Portuguese capital of Lisbon.






A city, that over the years, I had heard more and more positive reports about. Eventually I had heard quite enough. This culminating in packing my trusty travel bag and catching a flight. Arriving in the warm European city and getting quickly settled into my basic hotel - I then made my way to the train station in Amadora. After a relatively swift train ride I ended up in Barrio Alto. An area which translates as Tall Neighbourhood. And I tell you, that name is very apt, indeed. Steep streets that strain and strenghten ones calf muscles as you basically hike around like an intrepid explorer.








After a somewhat meander around the vertically challenging neighbourhood like a mountain goat, I stumbled upon an interesting looking haunt. At TCC we certainly are partial to a cool looking cafe. And what lay before my eyes happened to be just that. So of course I had to go in and casually investigate. The place was quiet and peaceful. A bad sign? Don't folk like to come here? Or maybe it was just a coincidence. Oh I don't know, it was empty, that's all I know. But for a couple of slender, bohemian looking staff members who welcomed me with nice smiles. The cafe was a vegan one, well of course it was. I had no problem with that, as I surveyed the pleasant decor and menu. I made obligatory small talk, pretending to be confident, like I was down with the vegan world (identifying fruit like a child) and my utmost love for animals. Eventually I settled on a curious blended drink consisting of various ingrediants and a rather tasty banana cake, which was so delicious. Sitting outside in the courtyard I enjoyed my first best moment in Lisbon.






A few cool looking locals came from their block of flats in this courtyard and looked at me. I didn't have crumbs around my mouth so, maybe, it was because I was sat alone. I’m not sure. Anyhow I resisted the urge to wave at them or give them the obligatory head nod. No, actually, maybe I did nod my head and point at my cake with a proud smile.











So far so good. Lisboa, as the locals would say, was proving right up my street. This cafe, in Barrio Alto, was a lovely start to a rather nice trip.














Demola, TCC















































Comments

Popular Posts