Gallery of freedom


I descended upon the historic city of Berlin with eager anticipation. I had heard wonders spoken of its cultural diversity, its artistic backdrop and general all round coolness. On the initial train ride from the airport I gazed from the train’s window to marvel at the range of intriguing architecture that instantly charmed my eyes.  Each area of the city bore reminders and indeed remnants of the past eras that the city has lived through. From the grand state buildings and military headquarters of pre and post war Germany to the futuristic and experimental architecture of modern Berlin, accented by a plethora of Eastern European style apartment blocks that conjure up images of communist Russia.

Somewhat amazingly, from what I saw I would estimate that about 90 per cent of the buildings mentioned above have been completely peppered with the most unique and intriguing works of street art that I have ever seen.  Unconventional and conceptual art is literally all over the city’s pavements, tall buildings, alley ways, coffee shop toilets, take-away shop walls, you name it. There is hardly a clear wall in the city (this includes what remains of Berlin’s most infamous wall). As I travelled around the different districts of the city I was continuously enchanted by what Berlin has to offer; the fashion boutiques and quirky  vintage stores that are more like galleries than shops and  boast a unique array of wonders that would cajole the most stingiest of scrooges to part with a few euros, the tranquil coffee shops that moonlight  as trendy bars once night falls and of course the refined gents and classy ladies that amble around the city seemingly without a care in the world taking their time to get wherever  they’re going whether they are travelling on foot (In great shoes/boots/trainers), a bicycle (predominantly fixed gear), the metro or by car (likely to be a classic VW or Mercedes).




Within a few hours I had been completely wooed by a romantic city that’s heart beats with modern idealism and artistic liberation.  When I returned to England and to my everyday life, once the romance of a European city break had subsided I began to compare my experiences from a more logical point of view.  Strangely enough the thing that strikes me the most about Berlin in comparison to the major cities of my home land is that we city slicking English folk have far too much ‘stuff’ that we don’t need and spend too much energy on its acquisition whereas the Berliners seem to get it just right when it comes to ‘stuff’ not too much or too little of anything, just the right amount of everything, The good the bad and the ugly, or so it seems.

If I had to sum up the city in one concrete block it would definitely be reclaimed the Berlin wall. Once an instrument of oppression and totalitarianism it is now an exhibition of conceptual and radical art, to me it is a gallery of freedom, much like the city of Berlin itself.





                                       



David. TCC

Comments

Popular Posts