Salsa in the city


Episode four: Scrambled eggs


Kat woke up in a dazed and confused state, still slumped on the couch and dressed in her outfit from the night before. Gradually, she began to gather herself together; the memory of her fall out with Ava tussled for space at the forefront of her mind along with an alcohol induced splitting headache. She rummaged around in her bag until she found her phone. One missed call, two unread messages; Lauren - “Hi babe hope ur ok ring me when u get up.” Emma - “Hi hun r u ok? Hope ur feeling better.  Lauren had also called her earlier on in the morning. 

All Kat could think about was how she had upset Ava. She sat pondering over whether to call her and apologise, try and explain herself a bit or maybe send a text. She tooed and fro’d for some considerable time, her thumb hovered anxiously over the call button like a fighter pilot behind enemy lines in search of a safe place to land. She had drawn up at least half a dozen draft messages and not found the courage to send any of them yet. Finally, she managed to press the call button, the phone rang but nobody answered, “Hi, this is Ava I must be busy right now, leave a message and I’ll call you back". BEEP! Kat hung up before a message tone had the chance to end; she was not sure what to say at this point and knew that in a voicemail she would not be able to express how she was feeling.

Kat managed to summon up the strength to pick herself up and find her way to the kitchen in order to rustle up some scrambled eggs. As soon as the smell of sizzling onions and greasy eggs reached Kats nostrils she immediately darted to the bathroom and began to bring up all of last night’s inebriations.
Kat rinsed the taste from her mouth with a stiff shot of mouthwash then sat in an empty kitchen staring at the plate of scrambled eggs cautious to take the fork to her mouth for fear of further tempestuous uprisings from her tender stomach. As the temperature of the scrambled eggs deteriorated so did Kats appetite.

She sat and pondered further on last night’s mishaps and various connected events that led up to the fall out. Kat even began to hark back deeper into her memories and recall unrelated events of her past that she also felt bad about and was feeling gravely sorry for herself by this point. A sudden surge came over her and Kat picked up her phone and called Ava again. Again Ava’s phone rang out and went to voicemail; Hi this is Ava I must be busy right now, leave a message and I’ll call you back. BEEP! “Aves, babe, it’s Kat, I am so sorry about last night. I wasn’t thinking straight, I know I should have told you the truth... but, I just didn’t want you to judge me like everyone else seems to do. Can you call me back please... so we can talk about it... I’m so so sorry Aves, I...”  “To re-record your message press hash or if you have finished recording just hang up”. Kat slammed down her phone and once again burst into tears.

For most of the day Kat had been in this funk and felt that she needed somewhere to turn.  She remembered that Lauren had called her earlier and decided to call her back. “Hi babe,” Lauren greeted her with. “Hi Lu” Kat replied. “Aww, are you feeling better babe?” Lauren asked. “Not really Lu...” Kat said, whilst sniffling away her last few tears. “Aww you’ll be fine, I spoke to Aves  before and she wasn’t in the best of moods either - but she just needs time really, you both do.” “I suppose...” Kat sighed. “She doesn’t hate me does she?” Kat asked. “ Don’t be ridiculous Kat, She is just upset because you didn’t tell her the truth, you know that she can’t handle being lied to, the poor girl has been lied to all her life you know, Kat, you can’t do these things.” “I know, I really want to talk to her and apologise, I hope she’ll hear me out.” “She will Kat, but like I said just give it some time for the dust to settle, she loves ya Kat, we all do, that’s why she’s so hurt by it. I’m sure she understands how you feel but she is probably mulling over a lot of issues right now that have nothing to do with last night, you know how it can get when your wrapped up in it Kat.” I know Lu, believe me I know, but thanks Lu you've helped me see it in a different light.” Don’t worry about it babe, we’re girls for life we’ll get past this and it will be something else you’ll see Kat.” Lauren said endearingly. “Thanks babe,” Kat replied. “Ok hun, well I’ll pop round through the week ok babe.” Lauren said. “Ok hun thanks, see you soon” Kat responded. “See you soon Kat.” Lauren replied.

As Kat put down her phone she heard a key turning in the front door just before it swung open. There were footsteps, and then a loud thud before a voice called. “Kat are you up hun?” “Yes Mum” Kat murmured back in groggy tone. “Help me with the shopping love.” her mum asked. “Uh” Kat grunted in response as she dragged her feet to the front door like a rebellious teenager. “Thanks darling.” her mum said slightly sympathetically. Kat hauled the heavy shopping bags along the hallway and plonked them on the kitchen table before heading towards the stairs. “Don’t you want these eggs Kat?” No mum I’m going to bed.” Kat replied.





Comments

Popular Posts