Mobile Phone Dismay

One day I went out and unwittingly forgot my mobile phone behind. It was too late for me to retreat and grab it. Subsequently, I was out for an entire day without my small communicating device. When it had initially dawned upon myself that I did not have it on me - I suddenly felt a terrible unease surge through my body.

What would I do? how would I cope? how would I manage?! Feelings of anxiety crept up and made me feel very uncomfortable. It was like seeing a chubby bloke attempting to fit into a pair of skinny jeans. For this day - I would no longer be privy to the addictive luxury of prolific texting, calling and receiving phone calls (I do get lots). I felt vulnerable, damn it, I felt naked.

The realisation has become all too apparent for me... We all live in a society in which our mobile phones are an extension of our fingers and hands. If you were to chop off your hand or perhaps some fingers - the pain would be similar to that of not having your phone at your disposal for a few hours, or a day or... even longer,(shudder).

For those of us old enough to recall once upon a time when mobile phones were not so common place - and many people did not even have such a thing. To put it frankly, who really wanted to carry one of those eighties walkie talkie/phone box sized contraptions. Those phones were strictly for business men, bankers and pimps. Nobody else needed to own one.

I think to myself, and wonder, how we all coped. Well, we had the humble house phone, true, pay phones on a street corner. Disease ridden and prostitute frequented. Those cubicles of dismay were common place if a quick call needed to be made. I hated touching the buttons with my bare fingers...urgh.

Happily, times have changed. Nowadays, basically every Tom Dick and Hamza owns a mobile phone. And if you were to ask these people, (If you know them personally). Or the younger generation, if they could imagine life without a mobile phone - they would probably think you are a loonatic and slap you for being so provocative to even dare suggest such a ludicrous notion.

Mobile phones affect our lives so much, I wonder if many people even realise and accept this fact. Probably, maybe, oh I don't know.

On returning home to my little plastic gizmo - I anticipated, or hoped that the phone would be overloaded with missed calls and tons of messages - from all of the people that needed me oh so badly in the time when I was cut off from the entire world.

Was this the case when I looked at my screen...ahem, well, that type of information hardly needs to be mentioned in this entry. Minor irrelevant details do not need to be divulged, swiftly moving on. The amount of times that I have been without my phone for just a few hours and on being reunited with it - to then be very unimpressed if there has not a speck of activity in my absence has made me think - (does anybody actually love me?!?). Have our phones become an indication of our popularity? Is this what we have been reduced to - little devices that make us feel good - because we happen to have small icons on a screen in the shape of an envelope or a missed call picture. That is a question I can not even answer at this juncture in time.

All I know is that when I left home that day without my phone, I sure did not like it. I am a product of a society were the need for constant communication has got a vast majority of us in a tight choke hold. Technology has made us all go a little loopy. Having said that, I better charge my phone quickly, before my battery goes.


Demola, TCC  

Comments

  1. Haha! Very entertaining because I have experienced that feeling when you realise your beloved phone is at home and you are...well, not. I've actually driven home for it at my earliest convenience so I can continue the day with peace of mind!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts