A Musical Voyage - Fleet Foxes




I began my voyage into the great unknown many years ago. What you read today is one of my many journals      that I penned whilst travelling. Having grown increasingly weary due to the state of popular music and particular genres I decided to embark on a quest to discover music in its truest form.

The mounting feelings of musical disillusionment had forced me to abandon what I had once known. I bid my dear loved ones adieu on a cold, wet day and set sail. I had hoped for this to be a worthwhile expedition that would prove most fruitful.

Along with my trusty log book to document my thoughts and findings and my honed ear for good music - I felt I was sufficiently equipped to gauge the different styles and genres that I could possibly acquire.

It was not long before I began to overhear whispers and rumours in the various sea ports that that I stopped at for brief respite and to replenish provisions. They spoke of a band that it transpired I needed to become acquainted with. They sounded like a group of reputable repute. A talent unwilling to sell their musical souls to the beast of the awful mainstream machine. I was intrigued to say the least and enquired to the name of this highly recommended quintet.

"Fleet Foxes..." The gentleman behind the bar kindly informed  me. "They adhere to the genre of Folk," he croaked. I nodded politely, before swiftly downing my house beverage. I began to formulate my route for the upcoming morning - when I would proceed to set sail once again.

As I sailed I often reflected on the genre that I had once adored and how it had become obsolete. I pondered as to why the mass population had become deeply brainwashed into accepting ill sounding music. I would often muse over this, as I lay on deck underneath the starry moon lit sky.

Months passed by, and I had finally reached the destination that I had been informed would lay the Fleet Foxes.  I had arrived at the Americas late into the night. The wind was slightly petulant and as I approached land. It felt as though the breeze was delivering a most beautiful sound to my ears.

I stood for a moment and took in the sensation that greeted me. Guitar sounds, ever so faint melodic words - coupled with subtle instrumentation. It was drifting ever closer, ever more agreeable to excitable senses. Was this indeed Fleet Foxes... I paused, as my boat came to an abrupt stop, then I quickly jumped overboard.

Running through knee high water and onto shore - I ran on speckled sand through to grassy knolls and bushes into a dark, ragged wood. I was startled by a piercing light that shot through the trees. I continued to follow the sweet, dulcet sounding music as though I was in a hypnotic trance. Completely powerless over the alluring melodies beckoning me - until I was stood facing a huddle of earthy looking people sat around an inviting camp fire. They were in subjection to five men, some bearded, tenderly caressing guitars. These gentlemen played splendidly, and sang with a poise and harmonious beauty that was remarkable. I hadn't experienced anything like this in a long time. It deeply resonated with me.

I declined to ask any of the group present as to who these men were. I just knew, it was the Fleet Foxes.

Fleet Foxes, Helplessness Blues. They were the albums that I took back on board with me. Satisfied in the knowledge that this stage of my travels had been very worthwhile.

Where to next... I shall set sail again with the wind and currents as my guidance.



Submitted by Demola, The Collective


Fleet Foxes - Someone you'd admire.


Fleet Foxes - English House.


Comments

Popular Posts