The Fixed Gear Diaries: Lockdown Cycling













It really had been a while. Too long.  So, to mix up my lockdown exercise regime the old beloved fixie had to be dusted down. This once perpetually used bike had been neglected for so long. Its blue counterpart being preferred to it. A little squeeze of the wheels established that some air was needed. Apart from that I was good to go. A lovely spring evening beckoned as I was now outside of my home. The inviting warm air a lovely feeling as I decided on where to cycle to. Destination, local park. A swift right out of my road and I was away. Ahh, that old familiar feeling that I have loved for many years. This fixie is faster and a little smoother than my other one. A few glances from pedestrians were noted as I whizzed down the road in glee.




As there are now fewer cars on the roads I had carte blanche to cycle with sufficient space. How I had missed this, cycling in nice weather, cycling listening to great music. All adding to the overall experience. Eventually, I had arrived in my local park, a vast park which welcomes all. I would ride around the perimeter first,  head down and peddling away a little more frantically I began cycling at pace as I soaked in the lovely scenery that filtered alongside me. Making my way into the heart of the park I came across a gaggle of people walking about. Time to bob and weave my way past them at pace, just like I like it. Darting through human obstacles I was now away, I could see the lake ahead.




Where to now? Why not to another local park... So that's what I did. After taking a few photographs of nature I was on my way again, legs pumping as I made haste to a smaller, more sedate park. On arriving in the Park of Princes, there were less people to navigate around which I expected. Just a few bodies slowly meandering about. Time to speed up again, heading towards the main gates I cycled out of the park, up a winding road, before shooting back in via another entrance. This was fun, I was really enjoying myself.  This was a pleasantly nice, warm evening.  Music playing, appreciating my minimum fuss bicycle. Just brilliant. There's always been something to me about riding a bike. Something so freeing and exhilarating. Something that I will always love.










Demola, TCC

Comments

Popular Posts