A unique friendship


I’d return from school and see it on the table, patiently waiting for me. Usually a large envelope addressed to myself. The handwriting unmistakable. A brown envelope submerged in a stylistic font. A smile would always break out on my face. I was happy.
 
I remember so many things from the 90’s and this, for me, was one of the constant highlights of a decade. I’d always, always look forward to a letter from my oldest friend. And it was one of the nicest things to receive. In an era before the internet fully took a grip on society, there was a time where people kept in touch primarily through talking on a telephone and, also, via letter writing. My friend and I deployed both mediums to communicate. Not content with talking on the house phone for hours and often incurring bills that our mothers were not exactly enamoured with - we also loved to write to one another.  
 
So, a younger me, along with a drink and snack would happily take my prized letter to my bedroom to read in peace. Letters from my best friend were not your usual type. Not in the slightest. Let me tell you why: The length of them; these were long letters, easily 10 pages plus. A4 sized paper front and back. Letters that contained artwork and superb typography that belied tender years. On reflection, they were basically like stripped down magazines. Magazines that reflected a childhood of years gone by. Funny, incredibly witty, youthful, naive, optimistic. Unique.
 
To this day, I still have all of these letters. Safely stored in an old shoe box. I cherish them. Not so long ago I decided to read some of them again. And what a joy it was. Whilst reading them I couldn’t help but screen shot many of the pages to send to my friend. They were making for fascinating reading. I was transported back to a time that resides in the further regions of mind.
 
The inception of these quite wonderful letters began many, many years ago. When my friend and I were so young. I had moved away from the same city to completely new surrounds. Generally when such a thing  like that occurs children do not stay in touch. The friendship fizzles out due to many variables; age, location, life. But you know what? This was not the case for us. We wouldn’t allow it.
 
So, as I opened up my old shoe box I sifted through the early letters. Small envelopes, that through the passing of time had faded. These letters were a lot shorter in length and far simpler, as you would expect. However, they were incredibly sweet and innocent. “I go to football on Saturdays.” “My cat catches birds.” “Do you go anywhere?”  The type of childlike statements and questioning that young children often make, sometimes the letters were accompanied with a box to tick. 
 
Over the subsequent years the writing became more aesthetic, the spelling more correct. Everything got bigger and better. The content really began to entertain. The cat had gone from catching birds to running away. When I spent time reviewing these letters again, I still laughed. Like it was 1990 something. I was still impressed. Perhaps even more so. We were just young boys. Young dudes who enjoyed writing. It struck me how my friends humour although much older now hasn’t changed so much.
 
In one way you could say, what? Had his level of humour been stunted, like some people who stop growing at a young age due to an abnormality... but the answer to that is no. The humour was beyond his years. So was the fabulous artwork. These letters, the content, and humour were not the norm for a youth.
 
I distinctly remember after reading and thoroughly enjoying the letters I would phone my pal to discuss the content. We would both laugh stupidly at the things in his letter. Usually he would say:  "So when are you sending me my reply, then? " Even though what more could we possibly say to one another that hadn’t already been said over the phone? Maybe not so much - but that didn’t matter. We always had something to write about. So many topics to discuss, interests and loves to talk about. To share. The letters were never boring. Even to this day, if I ever fancy a trip down memory lane I will revisit my old box of letters.
 
When I recall my childhood and youth, there are some things that stand out to me more than others. Things that make me smile, things that make me feel warm and nostalgic.  Receiving letters from my oldest and best friend is one of those very things.


Demola, TCC

Comments

Popular Posts