Blatent disregard for the law


 

With the majority of the world in the midst of a unprecedented lock down. Many countries, cities and communities are getting to grips with a stricter way of living. All but essential shops have had to close down. In England we’ve been told we can only go out ideally once a day; either for essentials, exercise and to help a vulnerable person. OK. Fair enough. If these measures go a long way to stemming the tide than we should all oblige. The measures are easy to understand, right? Not in my neighbourhood.

 

At first it appeared that the locals were listening to the guidelines. The streets were quieter, the non-essential shops all shut. The drug dealers nowhere to be seen. I felt proud of my area.   However, this basically lasted, erm, all of 24 hours, until many became bored of the restrictions. From what I have seen and heard the locals have started to basically ignore the rules laid out by the government.

 

Going out for essentials. How is this hard to comprehend? It basically means, shopping for basic needs, medicine and, well, that’s about it. Essentials! My neighbourhood has translated this into: Going to the local kebab shop for a shawarma. Please,  is that really an essential?  So I was driving through Lodge Lane and couldn’t believe my eyes. Literally all of the fast food takeaways were open. And one in particular was packed with young men waiting for their food. Whatever happened to social distancing?!  Another very popular chicken shop close to my home has also defiantly remained open. The reason being that “people still need their food.” From the supermarkets they do, not from Chicksters they don’t.

 

All of the pubs in the country have also been told to shut. As going out to drink alcohol is not an essential need. Well... the residents in my area would strongly beg to differ on that one. The pub on the corner of my road curiously has the shutter halfway down. I wondered if it was perhaps a little broken. Wrong. The reason for this, my neighbour told me, (from a safe distance) is for thirsty people to tap on the door for it to be opened for them to go in for sneaky drink. Just incredible. My local pub must think it’s a speakeasy!

 
As the government has stipulated, going to pick up a prescription from a chemist is a completely acceptable thing. Or in some cases a prescription can be delivered to homes. Especially for the vulnerable. Living where I live it’s common knowledge that many of the residents are partial to a pharmaceutical product or two. And they’re more than happy for them to be brought to them. When it suits them they don’t mind staying indoors. In my naivety I did happen to wonder why the local ice cream van kept driving down my road and blaring it’s horrible shrill. We’re on lockdown! Why on earth would somebody want an ice cream at a time like this?! Ice cream is not an essential. Little did I know that this van is basically a cover for... well l've been lead to believe the man offers more than a 99 flake.

 

Up to an hour a day for exercise has also been advised. A run, walk, maybe to cycle - and that’s just about it. Or maybe some sort of aerobic workout. But that can be done indoors. This is to be done alone or with those from your own household. Pretty straightforward. Again, this has been translated within my community to football matches in the park, or how about a baseball game, anyone? What about  people reclining in the park with friends. I’ve seen it all, (from a safe distance, of course) whilst running, minding my own business muttering to myself. The gravity of this pandemic is really lost on some people. Which is a shame.







Demola, TCC






Comments

Popular Posts