Unfairly treated animals

I wouldn't say that I have ever been a particular lover of animals. I just wasn't brought up to have affection for furry creatures and the like. So, subsequently, I didn't have a slither of empathy when I would hear of people losing their pets. Whether the animal had run away, never to return - or it had died, either from old age or from being flattened by a car or truck; I just didn't care. An unperturbed shrug of the shoulders and I would think, "oh they can just buy a new one."  However, recently, having pondered on my insensitivity towards animals in general I have come to the conclusion and realisation that I do actually care about them. It may have taken a long time coming - but better late than never. Due to this profound epiphany I have concluded very strongly that animals get a raw deal from humans. A very raw deal that they just do not deserve. I will explain why.






Why do we as humans like to attribute many negative connotations to the animal world? For example, a person deemed as unattractive can often be labelled as a 'dog.' You have the scenario of two men discussing a woman and one says, "Ah, she's an ugly dog!" Not only is that very rude and most certainly harsh - but what did the dog world do to us? Yes, I know that they can bark manically without justifable reason and, at times, they may even bite us. But in the main these creatures are probably the most loyal of animals you could ever meet. To then be discribed as basically ugly seems unfair.






Anbody who happens to carry extra weight. These people are usually likened to more animals. Fat pigs, fat cows, hippos, whales. Take your pick. Imagine if you were one of these poor creatures and you knew that you were always spoken about in a negative light when lazy humans decide to insult another. Pigs have it hard enough these days, spending their days in poorly sanitised pigsties. Constantly in need of a good bath, dispised by some religions - the life of a pig is hard enough. Then to be called fat...You get my point.






Horses, again like dogs and pigs get a raw deal. If you happen to have a lanky face you will probably be called 'horse face.' In some way the person is suggesting that you resemble a long faced animal with big gums and sizeable teeth. These people often laugh, thinking that they're comedians. When in reality - they're not even funny and are being plain mean. Do people ever think about how a horse might feel?






According to The Party for the Animals, part of their mandate is to raise important issues that are ignored by other parties. Promoting values that matter most, such as: compassion, sustainability, and the respectable treatment of animals. I would argue that calling somebody 'fat,' fat like a cow, for example, is not showing respect. In some countries cows are seen as holy and sacred. The people in those lands would never dream of labelling them as fat.






Men who appear to be sexist or biggoted are labelled as 'chauvinist pigs.' Why?! What on earth does a pig know about being offensive to women or having beliefs that its gender is superior to another. As far as I know - pigs spend their days eating, rooting around, making strange noises and rolling about in mud. Why, then, should they be distrespected in a fashion like this?






People who enjoy a party or two, again are likened to animals, in the broadest sense. 'Party animal' is the commonly known adage. Do animals consume alcohol? Do they go to night clubs, take drugs, have one night stands? Well, do they? So why are they roped into this negative term?






It may have taken a long time for me to realise that I care about the plight of animals, but now I have accepted my realisation I am determined to be more compassionate to the animal kingdom. How some humans dishonor them is just not acceptable. We need more people to stand together and speak up on their behalf, because just like us humans animals have rights, too.
















Demola, TCC

















Comments

Popular Posts