Things that we should not do

As I have grown older I have realised that there are some unwritten rules in life that one just should not do. These things, for whatever reason, have always been frowned upon when an uncultured simpleton falls foul.






So what are some of these unwritten crimes? 1) Asking a person how much they earn. Unless you are planning to supplement their salary - or you just want to laugh derisively at their paltry wage, why on earth would you ask?! 2) Asking a lady of a certain age (or any age, it seems) how old she is. Why would you even bother? You are just setting yourself up for a few moments of awkwardness, with the lady dithering, asking, "Who, me?" Yes, you! Before she either lies to your very face - or tells you she's just remembered that she left a roast dinner cooking in the oven and promptly excuses herself. 3) Asking an overweight person if they are pregnant. If the answer to this question is really going to impact on your life and you must know, can't you just be patient and wait another nine months? Either that or you face the vexation of an overweight person as they storm off in a huff. 4) Dating/marrying your friends ex. C'mon, now. Talk about a minefield that wouldn't look out of place in Syria. Like,  really?! Is there not enough fish in the sea that you must go and fish in a tiny little pond?!




And, finally, on this small but pertinent list. 5) Looking into another persons shopping basket/trolly. This one may come as somewhat of a surprise to you but having said that, though, it's rapidly becoming something that those in the know are realising should not be done.  The perusing into another persons basket or trolly is something that is new on the don't dos in the world of social etiquette. I can freely admit that I am very guilty of this modern crime whenever I frequent my local supermarket and say, bump into a friend, or acquaintance. I have found myself stealing more than a cheeky look whenever the situation has presented itself. What can I say? I'm inquisitive, I can't help it. I like to know things.





On bumping into these people that I know we usually have a quick, invigorating chat about the rising price of toilet roll or lack of ripe bananas in the store. Before long (I switch off) which results in you know what... as I can't but help having a little nose into their basket. Why not, I think. If you didn't want me to look you would have placed a blanket over your shopping. Since you didn't - I'm going to inspect. Anyway, I am curious to see what they plan on purchasing on this day. Usually when I look into other peoples baskets it flicks on the judgemental switch in my brain. Yes, I quickly scan what I see and note all of the 'bad' things that their little plastic basket harbours. Microwave meals, (shudder) I've clocked it. Alphabet spaghetti, (the last time I looked you didn't have any children) fatty foods, processed meats (heart attack central) unappetising white bread,  bars of chocolates, bottles of fizzy drinks, cans of alcohol; the list goes on... So I look at all of this then I look back at the person, who by now has realised and is beginning to look a little sheepish.








Obviously I don't say anything, why would I? After all, who am I to judge? I just smile politely as I shrug my shoulders. By now they follow my example and decide to look into my basket. Which is colourful and vibrant, like a rainbow after a bout of refreshing rain. Seasonal vegetables, fruit, nuts, olive oil, seeded, wholesome bread. Olives, balsamic vinegar, fish, lean meats, tasty cereal... ah, just glorious. Well, you did look. Now they feel bad, but I don't care. They should actually feel ashamed with themselves.




I do recall one person after looking into my basket having the temerity to ask if I owned a rabbit. I was offended! Do I look like the type of chap that houses a flappy eared buck toothed creature?! In retrospect, I now realise that this person was what the kids would label a "hater." And if you were not aware - "haters gonna hate."


It's a real shame when you go shopping and are judged for what you buy in your local supermarket. Even at the check out conveyor belt people are watching what you load on. I was once judged for purchasing a Mens Health magazine. (Imagine if I was still buying The National Enquirer).    Sigh...  Anyway, hopefully over time people will pass on to the younger generations that this form of behaviour is just not acceptable. People should be able to go food shopping without the fear of any condemnation. It's just not right. Time will tell, we can only pray. But if we educate one another, and our children change will come.
















Demola, TCC  





Comments

Popular Posts