The fixed gear diaries: Barcelona

I've always longed to enjoy a good cycle around the Catalonian city of Barcelona. Ever since fixed gear bikes really caught our attention, and imagination many summers ago -  we have been quite taken with these minimalistic bikes that were officially show-cased to us in a superb European melting pot of a city. 

The last time I was in Barcelona I had the pleasure of cycling around the trendy El Born neighbourhood and its closest barrios on a city bike. It was a cool, pleasant experience, thus wetting my cycling appetite for more. When away from your own bicycle on a trip you can't help but observe folk whizzing about on two wheels. I won't lie, I often feel a tinge of envy. 

This time, this year, Joshua and I would be in Barcelona, again. Many years after the last time since we had enjoyed a lazy summers entertainment there. Before this trip I had already decided that I would be hiring a bicicleta in Barcelona. But this time not another generic city bike or anything that resembled a clunky tourist bicycle. No, I, well we would be hiring something distinctly stylish to get us around this effortlessly cool city with ease. 

Deviant Bikes.


David, on his first jaunt to Barcelona had purchased a bike from this bespoke gem of a bike store. And on seeing the quality of his rented fixie this was the place for us. So after some confusion, mild frustration (the shop having moved from its initial address) we located it on a tranquil street in the picturesque Born district. Abdi met us outside on his red single speed number as we all entered the building. The guy working in his shop was welcoming and spoke with an unusual dialect. On stepping into his domain my eyes instantly lit up like a full beam torch; gloriously designed single speed bikes adorned the workshop walls like expensive pieces of art. Fixed gear bikes hung from metal hooks like prized catches. Rubbing my hands in my mind I quickly scanned the room for the bike that would have the honour of transporting my derriĆØre around Barceloneta and wherever else the balmy summers breeze led us. 

A black fixie instantly grabbed my attention. It was simplicity personified. I gravitated to it like a moth to an alluring flame. If Joshua had also liked this bike then tough. It wasn't a tandem  - so we both couldn't ride it. The owner clearly didn't see the lust bubbling away in my eyes as he suggested I take another fixed gear bike, a stylish red beast of a bicycle. Although it looked impressive and I gave it a little ride I had already set my heart and backside on the black one. The black reminding me of my own back home, minus the splash of colour. 

Joshua, meanwhile was looking at a very attractive bike; a combination of turquoise, brown and silver. A beautiful bicycle that completely stood out. That would be his transport, the black would be mine. After further admiring the store, making small talk with the Dutch owner and taking some obligatory photos of this haven of wheels we left. The early Barcelona evening smelling of sweet humidity inviting us to go forth and cycle.

Abdi being our resident guide we hit the streets of Born, eating up the concrete as Barcelona took up an altogether different complexion. Cycling through Born, (an increasingly popular area for hip young residents and the like) allowed us to see more and do more in a shorter period of time due to the time cycling affords you. Strolling around Barcelona is a genial experience, but cycling, for me is even better. We passed by the squares, shops, bars and cafes, stopping at whatever we fancied and then back on our wheels to the next destination. A pit stop at an independent cafe, Espai Mescladis a place that primarily employs refugees for a few bebidas, which were not so cheap underneath the blanket of night which was gradually darkening like the pigmentation of our skin. After this we headed to El Ravel and to hang out at Museu d'Art Contemporani, (MACBA). A spot that I knew Joshua would love. A comtemporary museum which also serves as a home to skaters. Basically, if you ever wanted to embody the word "cool" this would do it for you nicely. 

With the skaters doing their tricks, to others just sitting taking in the evening air, to impromptu street dancers the place oozed a vibe that further adds variety to Barcelona's tapas. As we stood and made small talk our attention was diverted to a group of Catalonian hipsters on probably the most impressive fixie's I've seen in a long, long time. Especially the senoritas bicicleta. She even had a mag wheel! They knew they were coolness, we knew it and, yeah, I had to look away, but - oh man her bike was something else. After soaking up MACBA we headed back to La Rambla. The night now fully upon us. 

Thanking Abdi for helping us find Deviant Bikes and biding him adios Joshua and I returned to our hotel to lock  up our fixies, tomorrow we would enjoy them more as we would be cycling to Forum. 


Demola, TCC 



Comments

Popular Posts