'Vicious fox' traps eight people!

I can freely admit that I find it really unsettling when I see urban foxes. You would think that as they have the title urban attached to their names I should be completely OK when I happen to sporadically spot them skulking about. Well, for me, this isn't the case. When I sight a fox I am instantly stopped in my tracks as I just stare at this creeping creature as it meanders through the 'hood busting the customary carrot coloured jacket. You know what, I will stop beating about the bush; these animals scare me more than a tad! I don't know why, but they just do. This wimpy way of thinking was doused with a whole lot of fuel this week when I read a story that not only startled me but also heightened my feelings of trepidation.

*DISCLAIMER* If you are of a nervous disposition I would suggest you do not read any further... However, if you believe that what you will read won't frighten you too much then read on.


OK, I shall relate what I read, basically a wicked fox trapped, yes, trapped a group of eight people in a car park as it stalked the place for three hours. The animal in question appeared as folk were preparing to leave Alconbury Sports and Social Club, Cambridgeshire.  If you have any sort of imagination then you'll know that panic quickly ensued, as a woman was bitten, a man fell from his bicycle and another bloke was pursued back to his car. Club Chairman Bruce Staines, who was also chased around the park, says that he had "never seen anything like it." I bet he hadn't!

Mr Staines even added that he had "tweaked his groin" in his attempt to escape the marauding animal, such was his determination to get to the safety of the club. "None of us could get out, when we tried to use a side door the fox heard and came haring round there." (Sounds like a horror movie!)

Another woman who remains nameless (perhaps due to embarrassment) sustained a bite to her mitts, as the silly woman tried to distract the fox with a bit of grub but the wily fox wasn't falling for her cheap ploy and promptly bit her for taking it for a chump. And if you think that is bad then this will compound your feelings, a terror - stricken chap attempted to out pace the animal on his bike as he peddled frantically on to a field in which he ended up falling off, losing his glasses in the process.

"He had to fend the fox off with his bicycle ." Commented Mr Staines. (How did he even see where the fox was if his spectacles had fallen off?!) Anyway, club members ended up being barricaded in the building as they watched the fox via CCTV as it menacingly patrolled the premises. Eventually pest control was called and after capturing the villainous fox it was promptly destroyed. Phew...

The pest controller had his say on the heady shenanigans with this fox, saying that when he arrived in his vehicle the fox circled the car like a demented shark. Trying to move it away he stamped his feet and waved his arms but the animal wasn't bothered one tiny bit. "I had never come across such a vicious fox in my life."

"People who don't know about these animals should never approach them and by no means feed them - you're asking to be bitten." This fox was known for frequenting the area and had been spotted near the play park. (Eyeing up the slide, perhaps) I wasn't prepared to put the lives of the children at risk."

"Foxes can look very sweet, but we had real concerns as a family - oriented club. We have hundreds of children playing here." Stated Mr Staines. He further stated that the pest controller guy said the fox may have been an urban fox (not because of its gangster type gait and bad man attitude) but because it just must have been, as it wasn't afraid of humans and somehow had found itself in the middle of the countryside.

Neither the Wildlife Trust or NSPCA were prepared to comment as its staff had not seen the behaviour of the animal. Well I am not affiliated with either of these organisations and I can comment: Foxes are dangerous and make me feel more uneasy than ever now!*


Demola, TCC


*A note to readers who may have read this piece, and are thinking of partaking in a spot of fox hunting. TCC does not condone such a heinous activity.

Comments

Popular Posts