Feather brained

The man in the mirror looks back at the man in the smart, sombre clothing. He ponders for a moment.  It's time to go...

The street is quiet, the weather a little more balmy than he had expected. The short walk to the destination is less than five minutes. "I'll meet everybody there," he tells himself. He rings his sister as he walks. Walking and talking the canary sun makes him feel warm due to his choice of clothing. A few minutes pass and he arrives at the venue. He looks at the building slightly perplexed. "Nobody is here, how strange. I can't see anybody at all." He tells his sister. "There is nobody around..." He looks at the entrance, the door is shut. "I'll look around the back." "Nobody, nothing." He reports. He checks his watch. "I'm bang on time. Hmm. Are the people running late? What should I do?" He asks his sister. "I know, I'll go round to the house, it's only down the road. Maybe they've been held up. Such is the case with things like this. I'll speak to you later," He tells her before hanging up. Just him and his thoughts walk along the busy road. 

He notices the cocky young chap standing outside of a shop across the road that he's been avoiding. I'm not in the mood to talk to him, he thinks to himself. The young chap doesn't see the man. Phew. He arrives at the street. The destination. The street is solemn. Lifeless. This is strange, he thinks. Where is the gathering of cars or morose people stood around?? He muses, I don't like this. He takes a deep breath and knocks on the door. An animated dog begins to bark manically from inside. He gulps. Then continues to wait. The door is eventually opened. The person stood in the doorway opens it half dressed, hardly ready like the man would have expected. "What's happening??" He curiously asks.

"Huh," as the topless male looks at the man. He looks at the smartly dressed man at the door then speaks: "The funeral is next week." As he continues to look at the man's confused, exasperated face. 
"What?! Oh no! I thought it was today." He reaches for his phone and reads the message again... Before shaking his head in frustrated dismay. 

"I got the date wrong."


Demola, TCC 


Comments

Popular Posts