Self improvement 101

You've seen them. They've seen you, (I think). But it's a little bit too far away to start the acknowledgements. But why? Why can't you start waving or smiling happily? If it was a friend or family member then there is no hard hard and fast rule of when you acknowledge the on-coming person. Non whatsoever. However, I'm not talking about those cherished ones.

No, I am talking about the ones who don't mean much if at all anything to you. Acquaintances, colleagues and other such random people. These are the ones who an air of nonchalance needs to be used. Don't look too happy or excited to see these people because, trust me - they aren't bothered when they see you! How do I know this? Well, I can see it on their faces, I can, and I have! 

This matter bothers me quite a bit. It bothers me that I struggle to look like 'I'm too cool for school.' That I don't  demonstrate an impassive attitude like these people do. Usually, always, I time my greeting terribly wrong. I see somebody that I sort of know and instantly I will wave animatedly or let off a big smile.  Then I feel stupid and rebuke myself. They haven't even seen me yet. And if they have they pretended not to.

Wait, (Woah, horsey!) just wait a moment will you, why are you eager to acknowledge these people. Play it cool, relax. They do it. Why can't you. 

So, they've seen me approaching now and sort of act like they haven't. By this time I've waved or nodded at the person frantically (at least twice) as I've approached - getting more annoyed at myself for repeatedly not timing it well. It happens too much for my liking.

They look at the floor, or up at the sky or at that wonderful crutch, the mobile phone. Timing it well, timing it ever so well. They know when the perfect time is to look up and say hello and continue past. Whereas me, I am eagerly on the hello and wave trigger finger, ready, waiting, bursting to greet a person I don't even care about. Why? I have no idea. Perhaps I don't want to come across as rude. 

I suppose it's a form of coolness or a skill I need to improve on. 



Demola, TCC 


Comments

Popular Posts