The perfected art

"Practice makes perfect..." Goes the old adage. And how true that is. The more you do something the better you become at it. It's elementary, my dear Watson.  

Over the years I have unwittingly honed a particular skill to such an extent that I almost feel like a professional at it. 

Have you ever been in a situation when somebody cracks a joke, an unfunny one? Of course you have. Have you ever been in a situation when you are in the midst of a social group of jovial people and somebody says something 'humorous' that you sort of heard but didn't quite get? Of course you have. 

In both of the afore mentioned situations did you laugh? And if so, how did you laugh? Ponder on that for a moment. 

Me, well, I have developed the art of fake laughter. It suddenly dawned upon myself one profound day, (I must have been bored) that I have become skilfully adept at insincere laughter. Why? On reflection could it be due to not wanting to make a situation awkward, or perhaps it's easier to massage an unfunny persons ego by allowing them to believe that whatever nonsense they uttered was worthy of a hearty laugh. I really don't know. 

I feel incapable to answer this complex internal question. However, I know that these people have been royally fooled by my quite plausible, deceitful laugh not coming from my belly. Although, I, on the other hand know that it wasn't genuine in the slightest. But, as I eluded to earlier -maybe it's easier to massage an ego. 

On deep meditation on this matter it brought a stark realisation to light. Does such duplicitous behaviour actually make matters worse? I say this because  people like me perpetuate silly egos - and as a result there are stupidly ignorant individuals walking around thinking they're funny because a nice bloke like myself laughed when they spoke rubbish. 

Have I inadvertently stoked a fire that will metaphorically burn another person who doesn't have the fake laughter skills that I posses. Imagine that, a poor person unable to quickly emanate a false laugh will be faced with a terribly awkward situation which would feel like eternity when the 'comedian' expects laughter to then receive nothing but a limp chuckle swiftly followed by an aggressive bout of tumbleweed. 

I think I will have to start practicing the art of not speaking and understanding perfect English. That surely would be better all round than pretending to laugh for the sake of an ego. 

Yes, I'll do that, hopefully it will be elementary, my dear Watson.


Demola, TCC 



Comments

Popular Posts